Hubli is known as chota Bombay. It is suppose to be the second largest city next to Bangalore in Karnataka state. It is located 400 kms from Bangalore towards north.The golden quadrilateral way connecting Bangalore –Mumbai passes through Hubli-Dharwad. Apart from Bangalore, Pune is 400 kms, Mumbai is 550 kms and Hyderabad is 400 kms from Hubli. Hubli has a municipal corporation. It is known as Hubli-Dharwad Municipal Corporation (HDMC). The twin city of Hubli-Dharwad separate each other by 20 kms. The population of Hubli Dharwad is over 10 lakhs. The civic amenities are in place and well served by Municipal Corporation. The law and order is good. The people are peace loving. It is safe place for making a living.
- Air Service
- Hubli has the airport and it is connected by AIR to Bangalore and Mumbai. The other near- by airports are Goa and Belgaum.
- Railway Service
- The Rail connectivity is extremely good with Delhi, Mumbai, Hyderabad, Chennai, Ahmadabad, Bangalore, Goa, Howrah, Jodhpur, Ajmer, Vijayawada, Tirupati. These places are connected by regular train services. Hubli railway is a junction station. Hubli Railway workshop is a century old.
- Bus Service
- The bus services to Mumbai, Hyderabad, Bangalore and Goa and other places in Karnataka has regular frequency and service is efficient.
- The State Transport and Private Transport buses of all category (Hi tech, Sleeper, Luxury and general) are in the service.
Hubli-Dharwad is known for its education. It is an educational hub of north Karnataka.
- Education Disciplines
- Management, Engineering, Medicine, Dental sciences, Social science, Homeopathy medicine, Public schools and the likes cater to the various disciplines and educational needs of the students.
- Standing of Institutions
- Most of the educational institutions have a track record of 50 years. The Karnataka Institute of Medical Science ( KIMS) is the earliest and one of the oldest medical colleges in the state. The engineering college is over 50 years in the engineering education, so are other institutions.
- Prominent Institution
- Karnataka College located at Dharwad dates back to 1920s and draws parallel to known colleges of Mumbai and Pune.
- Karnataka University dates back to 1950s and has completed 50 years of the services in education. It is 5 star rated university. It is accorded with a status of University for potential excellence.
The Student Community
The University, Engineering and Medical colleges have drawn students from all over India to Hubli. The campus of University, Medical and Engineering colleges buzz with North Indian students, Foreign students, South Indian and local students. This brings in a true national culture on the campus. About 25000 students are found across all the colleges and university campus. The students from Rajasthan, UP, Delhi, Bihar, West Bengal, Assam, Gujarat, Maharashtra, Andhra, Tamil-Nadu are commonly found in Hubli-Dharwad area.
Being a Municipal corporation place with over 10 lakh population, Hubli-Dharwad presents all the modern living available elsewhere. The shopping malls, star hotels, budget hotels, eateries, entertainment, resorts, public and private sector banks, insurance companies, hospitals and medical facility add to modern urban living of today. The cost of living is moderate and affordable.
The climate conditions are pleasant. The winter season from Oct/Nov to January has the temperature in the range of 22 to 8 degree, the summer season from February to May presents 40 to 18 degree temperature. The rainy season is pleasant and full of greenery from June to September/October.
The climate does not pose any adjustment problem to migrates from any location to Hubli- Dharwad.
The Surrounding Locations
In a radius of 150 to 200 Kms there are good number of places catering various interest like nature, temples, sea beaches, heritage, historical places. Goa, Karwar, Gokarn, Udupi, Mangalore are the places located along the Arabian sea coast. These are 100 to 150 kms from Hubli-dharwad .
Sea coast of Goa, Karwar, present good outing while Gokarn, Udupi are religious places of age old sanctity. The western-ghat line gives the pleasure of serene nature.
Hampi (150 kms), Badami (150 kms) Bijapur (200 kms famous for Golgumbaz) and host of other places are of historical importance and heritage.
The jungle resort of Dandeli, Yellapur are the locations 80 kms from Hubli-Dharwad and provide the weekend outing destinations.The tourism tastes & leisure of young and elderly is taken care at these surrounding locations.
The general food habit is very friendly and meets all the tastes.
The South Indian food and the North Indian food is the commonly tasted food and thereby matches all the tastes.
Besides this the Rajasthani, Andhrian, Maharashtrian, Bengali delicacies are easily available.
The local language is the state language Kannada. However Hindi is commonly spoken and understood language. The English speaking population is large in numbers. Hubli-Dharwad is a very language friendly location and any one can get going in communication with the people. The Marathi, Telgu, Tamil, Rajasthani, Gujarati speaking population is found in select pockets.
The ISKON temple is located at Hubli draws lot of devotees. Hubli-Dharwad boast of regular yearly Dharwad Ustav featuring dance, drama, music, plays, folk dances. It is place for Hindustani classical music. The exponents late Pandit Bhimsen Joshi, Gangubhai Hangal, Mallikarjun Mansur, Basavaraj Raj Guru all hail from this place.
The live concerts and programs of celebrity stars from Music, Film, Drama take place at regular frequency
Commerce and Industrial Environment
Hubli-Dharwad is a commercial hub with flourishing trade and commerce. It houses Chamber of Commerce and Industry. On the industry front Kirloskar group, Ceramic Tiles makers Muredeshwar Ceramics, the Pioneers in Pumps and valve manufacturing Weird-BDK, Tata Motors, Walchand group have been appearing on the industrial map for decades. Besides these Hubli-Dharwad is tipped to be the next IT destination as software Technology Park is already functioning.
Helping these large industry is the huge number of small industries at three industrial estates numbering over 1500 units.In short Hubli- Dharwad is a vibrant and lively place.